A friend posted something on Facebook today that made me stop and think. We really need to teach our children to put themselves in others' shoes before passing judgment on them. Children can be mean. Bullies can harm children for life. Try reading these situations to or with your child and discussing them. Teachers could discuss them with their classes also.
- The boy you punched in the hall today committed suicide a few minutes ago.
- That girl you called a slut in class today? She's a virgin.
- The boy you called lame? He has to work every night to support his family.
- That girl you pushed down the other day? She is abused at home.
- That girl you called fat? She's currently starving herself.
- The old man you made fun of because of his ugly scars? He fought for our country.
- The girl you made fun of because she cried in class? Her mother is dying.
- The boy you laughed at because he was reading haltingly? He doesn't know how to read because his parents don't speak English.
- The boy you beat up today? His father beat him up again when he got home because he had not stood up for himself in his fight with you.
- The girl you called stupid? She is studying for several hours every night trying to be the first in her family to go to college.
- The boy you refuse to pick for a team at recess? He has nobody to play with and would be a loyal friend if you would include him.
As a parent, you can make up your own scenarios as appropriate for the age of your child.